Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why big agencies need to be afraid of 3 guys in a township.

When you receive an email, stating that you would have 'a valuable input in clearing the path to our destiny in terms of developing the work we doing' then you most probably think it's spam. In this particular case, it was genuine.



Every now and then, I get completely blown away by human ability to create.
It's a rare yet strong emotion, that brings me happiness, since I realise the addictlab concept of discovering great creative thinkers from any culture or discipline is actually working. It makes me proud, and it makes me frustrated, all at the same time. Frustrated since I see the restrictions of what it is I can only do.
Even when it's my eternal Addictlab pledge that we need to do all - and preferably more - that is in our powers to push their talent.

Meet Sibusiso Justice Dhladhla, living in a township called Thokoza in Ekurhuleni, working in a group called Kasi Custom Rides, made out of three members namely Sibusiso Dhladhla, Jabulani Ngwenya and Enerst Sibeko.

They use paper and cardboard to build cars. The models are about 7Ocm, with perfect curves. The windows go up and down, the rooftop window slides in the roof, the seats can go out, the wheels turn when using the steering wheel. All out of cardboard in a perfect physical visualisation of autocad computer wireframes. Made by hand, not by processor.


When they arrive by taxi and humbly present me their concept, my brain activity is at its highest, my mind is in a thousand places. This is why I do what I do. If only they could benefit from the projects that I have been doing in the car industry. Visiting the design center from Rover and looking at the CAD and the clay models, when doing all campaigns for Daewoo in Belgium. Working on idea generation for BMW or Lexus, setting up projects with Chrysler or Renault.
They should have been involved. They need to be involved in the future. Any car company that is not busy getting broke and/or looking for innovation (I guess this covers them all) should call me now. PR or AD agencies working for car companies looking for innovative ideas, should see me tomorrow. Car manufacturers, call me now and invite them to come.


Because I don't see just a car. I see living proof of a much needed serious reshuffle of how companies should use their creative resources. It's time to stop showing creative respect to agencies who do not respect creativity.

It's time to have respect for authentic creative skills and use creativity in a much needed win-win system for all: client, brand, environment and thinkers.

Let this be yet another call to companies to use creativity for all the good purposes. For their own benefit, sure, but also for the benefit of the people and society that surrounds them.


As for now, I will do whatever I can to accelerate their talent. In case you wonder, no, no one is paying me to do this. And I'm not even sure what I will get in return. I will exhibit them in our Open Lab. I will post them on blogs, put them on our homepage and I will get frustrated when I don't get a call from car or design companies wanting to see how we could get that talent in for design, communication, PR or other projects.

I want them to be in Milan next year. I want journalists to write about them. I want companies to pay them the right amount of money for their skills. Christmas should come early this year.


You can see the cars at the OpenLab3.0 event in Johannesburg. Check www.Addictlab.com for more.






5 comments:

Sabine said...

Unreal! This deserves respect on so, so many levels!

We'll help spread the word!!!

GuruYouthGeniusWebbyChickFace said...

amazing. totally cool.

Anonymous said...

looks great indeed

Lerato Maduna said...

it is really mind blowing to see where creativity can take man kind ,quite strong emotion

Creezy Courtoy said...

Brillant!