Tuesday, April 28, 2009

When your agency wins in Cannes, please fire them.

I've tried to convince my friends and fellow colleagues of the advertising industry about how the business was changing and how one could react on that.
Well, I'm sorry to say... I failed.

At least, it's that what I was thinking when running around at the Salone del Mobile in Milan this year, where I obviously ran into a crowd of friends and people from the design industry, but apparently none from the advertising scene.

Has Milan turned into the center of branding? No, of course not. There are too many buyers and sellers and salesmen around that try to convince you of a new leather sofa.
But when you look beyond the dead cow covered sitting objects, you can see a parallel inspirational branding universe.

I admit: the abundance of chairs, tables and whatnot's is painful for the eye and the eco-friendly heart. Since who needs a new chair anyway? But when that chair comes with an added value, a story to tell, a function to add...

I realise I'm wandering through design heaven (or hell) with branded eyes, discovering gems of parasite branding and guerilla marketing tactics. Seeing inspiration for brands to get experiences across. That's why I can not understand that agencies are still choosing the Cannes beach in stead of the Zona Tortona.

Next time when your agency wins in Cannes, please fire them.
Don't get me wrong. They have proven their added value and we should honour them for that. On the advertising industry's funeral, we should speak with respect. The skills of the industry should be passed on by parent on child, and occasionally exhibited in museums over the world.

But a brand needs all senses to become a brand. In view of sustainable change, brand innovation and a holistic brand approach, you, dear marketer and/or CEO of a company, should look at other resources.

In fact, when using any creative resource for any project for your company, it should always be used with the bigger picture in view. This turns the advertising industry into craftsmanship and skills, and leaves a big space for true strategic and holistic brand consultancy, using a model of genuine collaboration, out of the box thinking and respect for the brand's surrounding environment.

I can be wrong and all the intelligent people in the advertising industry can still be right. In fact, I received yet another email from a big budget brand just now 'that we might be looking at a test project in 2010'. So when looking at what I earn today as compared to what I did when in advertising, I'm completely wrong.

Apparently it's waiting for the recession and it's fall-out to have companies realising the need for change. And if that doesn't do the trick, consumer behaviour will.

I hope I won't be painting sunsets in Namibia, by then.




Milan - some pics & thoughts.
-------------------------------


A female stand-up urinal. I'm not sure if this will make it to the market. What do you think? For me it 's a proof that tangible ideas can generate change.
In it's best, these concepts have a brand - and- social potential that can be enormous.




Ok, I was in Milan and I thought of recession when I saw this badly printed A4. (Chances are it's not the Mr Ferrari, but for the sake of my story, I need to believe it's the real one :-)




Our friends of .MGX / Materialise who will produce our Pine Cone light, had a collaboration with Renault. By far the most impressive work, tucked away in a small room at the Zona Tortona. Obviously deliberately anonymous, but with a potential to fill a complete hall.






A Retro-vintage ifoon.
For me this has brand relevance: dive into your heritage and past. It might need some tweeting and adjusting, but you'll have a unique story to tell and have a commercially successful project that goes with it.



The People Parking. Now here I saw a solution for the earth's global warming and a witty lounge concept, all in one. I also ran into a friend 'parked' there :-)



Diesel and Moroso. Combining fashion and design, and succeeding big time.



When looking at the following concepts, try looking beyond the physical object, but grasp the creative twist that makes up the story.








For more brand thoughts and help, a Creative X-ray or Brand Inspiration Shower, visit and/or contact www.addictlab.com

1 comment:

Sabine said...

I completely agree with your post: it's high time (we) marketeers stop staring at spreadsheets, research reports and other packaged "consumer insights" and step into the real world...And my guess is this crisis is going to tear us from our gilded corporate towers, some kicking and screaming, to face the new reality which consumers have already embraced.

I'm guessing many will scoff at my belief in such concepts as "co-collaboration", "ethical, transparent marketing" and "whispered branding".

We have entered a new world order, whether we accept it or not, and the rules have changed - intrinsically. And the sooner our marketing and communication reflects that, the more likely we will be to keep building successful brands.